Spartan Diesel Tech Support Forums  

Go Back   Spartan Diesel Tech Support Forums » Spartan Custom Tuning » 7.3 Phalanx Tuning

#1   IP: 205.234.60.18
Old 08-17-2015, 05:06 AM

Default tranny build on 01 f350

my dad has a 2001 f350 with the 7.3 powerstroke that has a bigger bd turbo on it and a chip. the chip is nothing extreme but does make the truck haul ass when unloaded and set properly... what kind of tranny mods would be ideal for it and what should for sure be done. my dad just bought a 32 foot boat that's 12 feet wide and weights just over 21 thousands pounds on the trailer. he has to haul it out of skagway Alaska witch has a brutal climb up the side of a mountain that goes from zero feet to 3500 feet in less then 100 miles... its a steep climb that my dad has over worked his truck before with only a 13500 lbs boat. what should he for sure do to the tranny and what would be a good idea to make it last longer?????
08 Harley, Spartan tuner with shift on the fly, ARP head studs, Mahle 20 thou over pistons, Colt Cams stage 2 billet cam, RCD 59/72.5 turbos, FASS 150 GPH Titanium lift pump, Side Action Diesel fuel bowl delete, No Limit Fab intake, hot and cold side intercooler pipes, high flow intake elbow, and EGR delete, Ported intake manifold, Mishimoto boots, BD diesel exhaust manifolds and HD up pipes, AFE intercooler, down pipe, and DPF delete, Precision Metal Fab traction bars, rear blocks, and front radius arms, Banks side quad exhaust, Rancho 4" lift, Skyjacker dual steering stabilizer, Grillcraft grill, HID headlights and fog lights, RBP locking fuel door, Warn HID driving lights, Westin bull bar, Rock Tamers, Leer tonneau cover, Auto Meter over head gauge mount with EGT, Tranny, and boost gauges, Firestone Ride Rite airbags, sitting on 37" Toyo M/T
  #2   IP: 216.55.234.24
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 AM

Since your pulling pretty decent weight, up a pretty decent grade for a pretty decent distance, I would look a single or even multiple low pressure drop trany cooler's with fans as heat is the number 1 killer of tranys.

I would also install a temperature gauge for sure. Wither you use a pan or return line sensor is your call but both isn't a bad idea either.

Since your not dealing with abusive power levels any decent HD rebuild will work. Just have a conversation with the company with what your going to do with the truck, weight your going to pull and the altitude change.

The last point I'll give you is, 21,000 lbs behind your truck is a pretty bad idea. You'll be way over the trucks towing limits and there is no way you have enough brakes to stop that once you get it rolling.

Please hook that to a semi.
08 F250 4x4 Super Crew SB 6.4 Auto 9900 GVW, B&W turn over ball, Firestone air bags with in cab controls and air compressor run through up fitter switch's, AFE down pipe back SS straight pipe, No Limit CAC, CAI and Elbow, Full EGR Delete, Spartan TCM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, CCV into exhaust 210 TP LL NEGR 55w HID Fog and Headlights
Just my little pull truck!